University Place Refuse and Recycling provides curbside residential garbage collection weekly (for customers with GRAY toters) or every other week (for customers with BROWN toters). We offer several sizes to accommodate any household: 24, 48, 64, and 96 gallon toters are available.
Our weight restrictions for all commodities are as follows:
24 Gal. Toter – 50 lbs.
48 Gal. Toter – 100 lbs.
64 Gal. Toter – 130 lbs.
96 Gal. Toter – 200 lbs.
TIMES & CLEARANCES All garbage, recycling and yard waste containers must be at the curb by 6 a.m. for pickup – we recommend placing your toters out the night before.
Please maintain 3 feet of clearance around all toters, at least 5 feet from vehicles, and 18 feet of overhead clearance.
We are able to take these materials in your garbage toters:
- Dirty aluminum trays and foil
- Cold ashes and charcoal
- Empty automotive fluid containers
- Dirty cardboard
- Bottle caps and lids
- Cat litter
- Cigarette butts
- Destroyed clothing and fabric
- Disposable diapers
- Feminine hygiene products
- Foam rubber
- Food waste
- Needles or syringes in a sealed, rigid container
- Dirty paper products (plates, cups, napkins, tissue, etc)
- Pet food bags
- Pet poop
- Pizza boxes
- Plastic food wrap, sandwich & produce bags
- Styrofoam peanuts (styrofoam block recycling is available at our recycling center)
- Broken and unusable toys
- Lumber scraps
- Woven plastic bags
We require that all bold/italicized materials be bagged, either in standard trash bags or grocery bags, to keep these loose items from spilling out of the toter during the dumping procedure. We do request, though, that all materials be bagged for sanitary and cleanliness purposes.
Please DO NOT place the following materials in any of your toters:
- Heavy metal machinery/parts (auto parts, fence posts, etc)
- Large items such as furniture, appliances, etc.
- Anything over 4″ in diameter and 3′ in length
- Liquids of any kind
- Any hazardous materials
Please see our disposal infographic for information on where to take these materials.